Jun 12, 2009

Death of a soul I have known

I have something to share with you. Not about what we were [well, I had been] talking about. Not the usual stuff.


It’s about the death of someone I knew for about 22 years. He saw me growing up.


‘Sanu’. It was his name. He ran a stationary store alongside a flour mill, near my home, with his brother. He was about my father’s age. I think he was my father’s classmate. And he died on 6th of June.


There is a gang, and I know all members in that, who are thick friends and they used to come together in the night, every day, and drink. I believe you understood what I meant when I said they drink. Yes, they are a bunch of alcoholics. They used to bid farewell by 9’o clock every night and go to home to sleep. Some of them are having sound monetary background and they pay for the booze. I know one man in that group who is married and is father to a cute, little girl and has no job to support his family. He has some things going on in this catering group from where he can hardly earn some money to get three meals in a day. But he used to get stoned every day. Thank his friends. And his family has no problem in getting their nutrition. His wife has a considerable job and his mother receives pension of his late father.
Mr. Sanu was a member of this gang. He used to put a lot of money to buy booze for himself and his friends. He never disappointed them. They used to have a lot of fun. He was unmarried and had no other concern other than for getting drunk. He was drunk the day he died.


He was returning home that day, and the time was past 9.30p.m. He told his friends that they would meet next day. He was riding his bike, a Hero Honda 100SS machine. He took the usual route and was sure about the road. He knew everything about that road, except that there is his angel of death waiting for him. There was a spot where there are no street lights. You may ask, what is there for a guy riding his motor bike to deal with street lights. Well, there is something.
This public transport bus was on its last trip from Vaikom to Cherthala, a place in Alappuzha district of Kerala state. The driver was feeling sleepy and the ticket collector was tired of the day’s work. There was no major traffic in the route at that time of day and so they sped to the destination.


Mr. Sanu and this bus reached the blind spot at the same time and most probably it was the last thing Mr. Sanu saw in his worldly living tenure. Am not exactly sure about what happened there. Probably the bus driver dozed off or Sanu lost control. Either way his bike slammed on to the center part of the bus and his coat got stuck on the bus. It dragged his almost 50 feet and then he was thrown aside. The bus driver did or didn’t notice the impact and drove off leaving Sanu to his fate. No one nearby noticed and because of the darkness nothing could be seen easily. He was lying there and about half an hour after a passerby noticed the bike lying there at the other side of the road. Then Sanu was taken to a hospital but of no use. He was already dead. No major wounds. Only some bruises when he was dragged by the bus. Probably he landed head first to the ground. Anyways, his soul left his body at that night.


My father called me up in the night. I was at my uncle’s where there was this ritual going on. I woke up and answered the phone call. My father told me about the incident. They were not sure about what vehicle hit him.
The next day his funeral was conducted. I couldn’t attend that. When his brother met my mom at the funeral he asked her where I was. She was told Sanu liked me very much. He was always sympathetic towards me when I was a kid, because my father used to beat me up on the simplest of things. He always said ‘there is no need to beat up this kid. He is going to become a good man one day!’ I felt sorry that I couldn’t go for the funeral.


The bus crew surrendered in the Vaikom Police station the next day. They said the hit someone on their last trip on 6th of June. They were not sure who was hit. I was thinking what if they checked at the time of incident. They could have saved a life. At least they could have taken his body to the hospital rather than leaving him on that street with no one to attend him.


He was a friend, to me and my family. He was a good human being except for his love to alcohol and arrogance to rivals. There weren’t many rivals to him as he was always caring and soft-spoken. He was little bit bulky and we used to make fun of him. When thinking of the fact that Mr. Sanu is no more, I feel sorry for me, his friends and family.


A good man has lived, laughed, made others laugh and died.


One little comment to make -
"You can drink. But never drink too much that you become addicted to it."

4 comments:

  1. "You can drink. But never drink too much that you become addicted to it." Aliya ... nammak ithu ikkrunee kannikanam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx buddy, what about my other posts? have you seen them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written.. :) Too nice to read...

    ReplyDelete