Mar 25, 2010

Story of a lie

[The arguments am making in this post are completely realistic, though I won’t ask any of you people to follow them. You can use the tricks in extremely complicated situations. :D]

Lies lies lies. Who is there in this world that doesn’t lie? We, the people of happiness, the people who are happiness mongers, do lie a lot – almost every day. Please don’t tell me you speak truth, all the time. Because then I would be forced to call you a liar.

Well, you must have begun thinking ‘why is this fool saying these things here?’. Hmm.

I would like to make a simple statement here. The lies we say are mostly harmless. Sometimes these lies save our lives, or many lives. I know there are some people who intentionally lie to make some one suffer. Am not including them when I say ‘we’.

Here, am going to tell you a story of mine which saved my life.

As a school boy, I was very shy. And as expected from a shy boy I wasn’t popular and used to be among the silent folks. Sometimes I hated going to school and being presented with the stick treatment from the teachers as I, like most of my friends, was reluctant in doing take-home assignments.

The story unfolds when I was in my 9th standard. At the time my cousin sister was there in my class which added to my burden as everyone in our family wanted us to compete with each other in studies. Being a girl and her mother being so strict at home, she never failed in doing her assignments and that made me look bad.

Once we were given an assignment from our biology topic. As usual I came home, pretended to be studying, watched some television programs, ate and after the usual chores went to sleep. I totally forgot about the assignment – which was a big one. Only in the morning, when I was arranging my bag, did I see that I haven’t done anything and there was a high probability that am going to be sent out from the class room and there awaited the horror.

The horror of going to the principal’s room and answering his questions was over whelming my thought process. It was so registered in my mind, that am going to get slapped across the face by everyone. I imagined me with sweaty armpits, weeping, mucus oozing from my nose, getting pinched by the headmaster. Oh no!!!...

Then the idea struck me! Why can’t I stage a lie? Why can’t I persuade my folks so that they wouldn’t send me to school, for the day?

Ahem, and I decided to act. The most successful role ever in my acting history. The role of a kid who is rolling on the floor with stomach pain. And so it began…

Seeing my plight, my mother got so somber that she asked me to lie down on the bed and sat with me, consoling and feeding me some medicine. After sometime when my acting became much worse that she felt she wouldn’t be able to handle the situation, she called on my father.

My father is a character. He never takes me to a doctor unless it’s a worse situation. He treats me himself as he knows all the simpler techniques to get rid of simple ailments. But, this time, exceeding my expectations, he asked my mother to take me to a hospital.

“Eh? To hospital? Oh my God.” My heart fell. I thought, “what if the doctor says am not sick? Am sure in a lot of trouble. I will be thrashed to pulp, by my father who is an imposing figure, for lying to him!”. And I began praying.

Anyways, I decided to act my part and went with my mother to the hospital. I felt the hospital is the abode of death god. While waiting for the attendee to call us, I felt am on a line to the hanging chamber where they are going to hang me by my stomach and squeeze me to pulp. And smile of the doctor seemed to be the grin of death.

The doctor began examining me. Touching and pressing stomach. His examination of my stomach went on for half hour, in which time he examined me by asking me to lie down on the bed there. He joked to me, but I was in no mood to enjoy them.

Anyways, after the examining phase was complete, he asked my mother to admit me in observation ward.

What???!!! Observation???!!! I lost my control over my mind as I was sure they are going to experiment on me. I am their designated lab animal! Of course, I thought, the doctor is a junior surgeon. He might do some surgery on me. This time, it was me who became somber when lying on that bed.

My uncle and aunt came to visit me, with books. With books?!!! No fruits, no nothing to play with!

The nurse in my ward had plenty of work as they had to put the catheter on my hand, for more than three times! Every time I get up to go to the bathroom, I would break one. Finally, they plastered that to my hand.

And, in the evening the senior surgeon came to visit. He tapped on the side of stomach, pressed here and there, and asked me if am feeling in that area. In the end he told my mother they are going to operate me and I should not be given anything to eat.

Again? Oh my dear God. How can I say I was lying to them at this stage? I can’t say that or else I would have to face much worse reaction from my father. Thinking about this fact I kept quite.

Next day – the day of my operation. This wasn’t a major one. They were going to cut out the appendix from the end of my intestine!

I walked into the operation theatre, chatting with the doctor. Honestly speaking, I was excited as it was my first operation and I was going to be the only one to have undergone an operation in my class. I talked with the doctor about what is going to happen, how that organ is conspiring against my body and all. The nurses there commented on me as “the bravest kid they have ever seen walking into the operation theatre with a smile on his face and talking to the surgeon!”.

I lay on the operation table, with nothing on but a cloth spread over my body. I felt shy as the nurse took away my clothes and spread this one piece on me. The doctor put a mask on my face. I didn’t like the smell of that one, so I put that away. Again the doctor placed that mask on my face. After sometime I fell unconscious. The mask was meant for general anesthesia.

They cut the small organ from my body and sent it for biopsy. The result said I was on an advanced stage of ‘appendicitis’ and if I walked around with that for a few weeks I would have been dead!!!

This was the time, when I realized a lie can save a life. I appreciated myself for being able to lie and act at that time. Well, don’t think that am a frequent liar. I only lie those times when am awake.

Hope this story gives you people courage to lying in your lives when it is absolutely necessary. Lying about specific things at the times most complicated has proven to be good for one’s health and life.

Lie more live more. Take care folks.

4 comments:

  1. I expect you people who read this post to point out the mistakes in - sentence formation, grammar, or any such things. Please help me improve. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post is interesting...but I think the Doctor was clever, he managed to make some money out of your lie. In truth, your whatever organ they removed might have been OK! However it's good because you are never going to get sick due to some malfunction or problem of that organ;right ??

    PS : Dear Readers, The real life story in this post is written by a highly skilled liar, if you try to do it, there will be bad consequences...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entamme ... so it is because of lie that you are still alive today ... Dude, sometimes I wish you were truthful then :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Deepak : Dude, That doc is a friend of my father and my uncle. He doesnt have to lie to my family. :D

    ReplyDelete